Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Olympics

I love the Olympics! I love the spirit of the Olympics. I love that the mens gymnastic team was thrilled with their bronze medal. I love seeing Michael Phelps win. I love it when the favorite wins (as long as it's not the French relay team), I love it when the underdogs win. I love staying up late and not getting enough sleep because the olympics are on.


The news people drive me a little crazy though.

* During the men's high bar event in gymnastics the announcer actually said, "High Bar 101: Grab the bar. Grab the bar." Really??

* The headline after Michael Phelps won the 200 butterfly was, "Goggle Gaffe." I like alliteration as much as the next person but leaky goggles do not qualify as a "social or diplomatic blunder."

* The worst is the MSNBC anchor in the afternoon. I don't normally watch MSNBC so I don't know who she is or why she's there but she drives me nuts. She wears skintight shiny vinyl clothes. Monday, when they were discussing the shoulder tape worn by one of the beach volleyball players she started talking about her tattoos. She curls her lip when she talks even when it's a human interest story. Someone needs to tell her to stop doing this. She stumbles through her teleprompter reading, but it's even worse when she goes off-script. You can tell within two words when she stops reading from the teleprompter because it's usually inappropriate or embarrassing. She's in New York and the two people actually in China ignore her half of the time. I'm not sure if they're having communication difficulties or if they just feel like I do and it's best to pretend she never said that and move on.

But I will still keep watching because I don't want to miss anything.
Go USA!



Sharon

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Ditto everything you said. I saw an interview yesterday with the NBC Today Dude asking some guy (very knowledgeable, but I can't remember his name) about Michael Phelps and wanting to know if he was the greatest athlete ever, even better than Michael Jordan? Now that makes me nuts! Thankfully the guy being interviewed knew enough about swimming and what the training involves to answer intelligently (and maybe make Today Dude feel a little foolish for asking)
I'm with you. GO USA!

Joe and Judith said...

I agree totally! Now I'll have to watch MSNBC to see what you are talking about. I stayed up last night and watched the end of the women's gymnastics. 1:00 A.M. It was great. We have watched all of Michael Phelps races. Riveting! GO USA!