Saturday, February 21, 2009

Ummm

Since I am 41 years old and expecting my second child, I've been getting some strange and stupid questions/comments. Here's my top 7:


#7 "You should have another one right away so this one doesn't grow up alone." Okay, first of all, I've never had that kind of control over my fertility. Second, Jeff has grown up as an only child for all of his 17 years so far and I happen to think he's a well-adjusted, kind, generally awesome person. Third, another baby at this age? Get real.

#6 "Whoops." Probably the most offensive, especially since it was from someone I barely know.

#5 "How old are you? If you don't mind my asking." I wonder what people would say if I responded, "Actually, I do mind you asking." I don't really mind but I just wonder.

#4 "Better you than me." Yep. Couldn't agree more.

#3 "Did you plan it this way?" Yes. I wanted to wait to see how my first child turned out before I had another one.

#2 "Are you showing yet?" I understand this question from people on the phone whom I haven't seen lately, but I don't understand this from people who are standing right in front of me. If you can't tell by looking, why ask? Then again, there are a lot of people who aren't asking they just talk to me while looking at my belly.

and the #1 stupid thing people have said to me: "You're just like Sarah!" (of Abraham and Sarah in the Bible.) Excuse me?! I'm 41 not 91!!

As you can see, it's bringing out my inner sarcastic self (okay, I don't have to dig deep for it).

Sharon

No comments: