Friday, February 29, 2008

Jury Duty Day 4

My third day on the bus! I'm feeling very experienced now. I've gained a new life skill. Every other morning, I've caught the bus at around 7:10-7:15 and after walking my three blocks have arrived at the justice center at around 8:10-8:20. This morning I caught the bus at about the same time but the busdriver today was so aggressive, I walked into the justice center at 7:45! Wow! I'm not sure that was a good thing. This busdriver was changing lanes all over the place. Where the highway narrows down to two lanes he stayed over in the disappearing lane until the last second. His philosophy seemed to be, "I'm bigger and I'm coming over."

Nila and I were actually on the same bus this morning and since we were so early, we had our choice of little tables. I got a cup of coffee at the cafeteria and we settled in. Roberta joined us a little later and we waited. They called a few of the juries that were already in progress and then they called names for one more new jury. That's it. Nothing else happened all day long. We ate our lunch at 11:30, I think out of sheer boredom.

While we were eating, a few of the men who ended up on the jury I was called for came by and said they had finished. They ended up finding the guy guilty on all four counts. Apparently, this guy was involved in other trials at the same time on some very bad stuff and the state had offered him a deal of 2 years for everything. He refused and now will be in prison for at least 8 years. The men from the jury were so pleased with themselves. They strongly felt they had done the right thing and were glad to have been a part of the process of justice. It almost made me wish I had made it on the jury.

At 3:30, they announced that the Wednesday jurors could go home but the Monday jurors needed to stay. Once the Wednesday jurors had all left, they told us that the court had slowed down and if there were any jury calls tomorrow the Wednesday people could fill the juries so we were free to go for the week! Hallelujah! We got a certificate suitable for framing (?) and a letter thanking us for our four days of service.

The three of us left together, we left Roberta off at her bus stop, then Nila and I caught our bus home.

I stopped at Starbucks to pick up the essentials (espresso and decaf espresso beans ground for my espresso machine), went to the grocery store and picked up the ingredients for Lemon Basil Bowties and joyfully went home! Yesterday was the first day this week we've all been home in the evening and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

So glad to have that over with.
Sharon

Psalm 106:3
Blessed are they who maintain justice, who constantly do what is right.

No comments: